Ms. Cai Daofeng Repeatedly Detained and Beaten

Name: Ms. Cai Daofeng
Gender: Female
Age: 41
Address: 13 Group, Qunbai Village, Gexianshan Township, Pengzhou City, Sichuan Province
Occupation: Farmer
Date of Most Recent Arrest: September 6th, 2010
Most Recent Place of Detention: Sanshengmiao, Brainwashing Centre, Fengle Township
City: Fengle Township
Province: Sichuan
Persecution Suffered: Electric shock, forced labour, brainwashing, forced injections/drug administration, beatings, hung up, imprisonment, torture, force-feedings, extortion, physical restraint, mental hospital, home ransacked, interrogation, detention

Ms. Cai Daofeng has been repeatedly detained, beaten, and suffered other forms of torture because she refuses to give up practising Falun Gong. This is her story.

“I began practising Falun Gong on August 28th, 1997. It was the happiest day of my life. I used to suffer from all sorts of illnesses, including gastric bleeding and rheumatism of 20 years, back pain, and sciatica. In just three months of practising Falun Gong, all of my illnesses disappeared and my bad temper improved. I also became more tolerant and began to think of others first. I became mentally and physically healthier. Falun Gong gave me a new life.

Detained and Robbed for Going to Beijing to Appeal for Falun Gong

On July 20th, 1999, the Chinese Communist Party began its persecution of Falun Gong.
Huang Wenquan, an official of Geshan Township (formerly Nanyang Township); Xiao Yifu, head of Baicun Village; and others frequently came to my home and harassed my family and me. They verbally abused us and forced us to hand in our Falun Gong books. Therefore, I decided to go to Beijing to appeal and clarify the truth to our country's leaders.

I went to Beijing in December 1999. I was arrested and taken to Qingyanggong Drug Rehabilitation Centre in Chengdu City in January 2000. I was then transferred to the Pengzhou City Detention Centre and detained there for 15 days. During that time, Ye Kaishun, head of Geshan Township, Yao Yong from the Aoping Police Station, and about 25 others went to my home and ransacked it. They stole all of the grain I had, a tricycle, some furniture, a sewing machine, a cassette recorder, and two tables. Ye Kaishun also came to the detention centre and physically assaulted me for more than ten minutes. They also extorted money from me. I was released on February 23rd, 2000.

Going to Beijing for the Second Time; Detained and Beaten

A week after I was released from the detention centre, I decided to go to Beijing for the second time; however, I was arrested by Pengzhou City 610 Office agents (an organisation of special agents just for persecuting Falun Gong) and taken to the Pengzhou City Detention Centre, where I was detained for 40 days. Liu Guangqing, director of the 610 Office, told Wang Li, an administrative secretary, to take away the only copy of Zhuan Falun I had with me. Wang Li also beat me. During my detention, Wang Li tied me to the “Death Bed”1 and told the detention centre doctor to insert a rubber tube into my nose to torture me. She also bound me in chains. I was released on April 12th.

Tortured by Officials at the Township Government

After I returned home, the township officials often came to my home to further persecute me. On so-called sensitive dates, they would walk around my house. Ye Kaishun came to my home on the morning of May 12th, 2000, and used my husband's belt to whip him. Then he took my husband to the township government building and beat him again. Ye Kaishun, Wei Guoqiang, and the director of our village, Xiao Yikai, went to my mother's home, seized me, and took me to the township's 610 Office. Ye Kaishun whipped me with a belt he took from my husband until he was tired. Then he took me to the Pengzhou City Detention Centre where I was detained for a month. Wang Li connected my handcuffed hands and legs together with chains. She only unlocked the chains when I was released on June 12th, 2000.

I was detained and beaten on July 16th when I went to the Aoping Police Station to see my mother, who also practises Falun Gong. A big man in his 30s hit my back three times with all his strength using a club with edges. Afterwards, he was very tired and muttered to himself, “Her energy is very strong.” I was then sent to the Pengzhou City Detention Centre again and detained for a month. I was released on August 16th, 2000.

Rao Yong forced me to clean the garden and the street of the township government without paying me. I had to finish the job before going home. At the time, it was the busy farming season, so I had to bring my 10-year-old daughter along with me to do the cleaning. One day, Rao Yong, Xia Chengshu, Xiao Yousong, and Wei Guoqiang from the Aoping Police Station came to my home and said, “Bring a change of clothes and come with us. We will send you back in three to four days.” They tricked me into going to the township government building and then took me to the Pengzhou City Detention Centre. The next day, I was transferred to the Zhuanyunzhan Detention Centre in Chengdu City before being transferred again a week later to the Zizhong City Women's Forced Labour Camp.

Shocked with Electric Batons and Beaten at Zizhong City Women's Forced Labour Camp

I was detained in the No. 5 Division of Zizhong City Women's Forced Labour Camp on August 28th, 2000. Luo, a 19-year-old female guard, shocked my face, nose, and mouth with electric batons until my nose and mouth bled. Drug-offender inmates Ye Jianfen and He Lin were assigned to be my personal monitors. Luo instigated the two criminals to beat me every day and used all sorts of torture on me. They tied me up with a rope and burned my forehead, face, and jaw with cigarettes. I had scars all over me. The torture continued until I was transferred to the No. 7 Division in October 2000.

In the No. 7 Division, administrative secretary Qin shocked my face with an electric baton. I could hear the crackling sound and smell the burnt flesh. My face was all red. At a different time, a guard named Zhang shocked my wrist until she was tired. Then she punched my face and mouth. My teeth felt as if they were going to fall out.

I spent 15 long months in the forced labour camp. During that time, my husband passed away, but they didn't inform me or allow me to go to his funeral. They also denied my family's request to allow me to go home. On November 13th, 2001, I was “handed over” to Rao Yong from the local police and Wei Guoqiang from the township government. They took me to the Aoping Police Station and detained me for one more day.

Detained Again

I left home to do business at around 4 p.m. on December 28th, 2001. Not long after, Zhou Bo, Yue Jun, and Zhong Laosi from the township government approached me, claiming that someone had reported me to the authorities because I had said 'Falun Gong is good' in public. They also said Rao Yong from the Ao Ping Police Station told them to tie me up. I asked them to call the person who reported me. Zhong Laosi and Yue Jun stood in my way so I couldn't leave. A few minutes later, three to four officers from the Aoping Police Station arrived and twisted my arms backwards. I was in tears because of the pain. I began to shout, “Aoping police are persecuting practitioner Cai Daofeng!” Only then did they stop and carry me to a car to go to the township government. In the evening, I was taken to the Aoping Police Station. They released me the following afternoon.

After 10 p.m. on July 30th, 2002, 18 people, including Rao Ping, Wei Guoqiang, and Yue Jun, came to my home and said, “Follow us!” I told them, “You must not persecute me.” They dragged me out of the kitchen and carried me outside. My neighbours came over and tried to plead with them to not take me into custody. They said, “It is already late. If you detain her, what about the elderly and the young at home? She has no husband.” The officials turned a deaf ear and took me to the Pengzhou City Brainwashing Centre.

Drugged in the Brainwashing Centre

At the brainwashing centre, they forced practitioners to watch videos that slandered Falun Gong but I refused to watch. They dragged me to the cell so many times that the soles of my shoes were worn out. I went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution and was taken to the Pengzhou City Mental Hospital. Yang Xianrong, head of the hospital, and Ren Changping, director of the 610 Office, drugged me for more than 80 days. They tied me to the bed, inserted a catheter, and shackled me with a chain. The chain was only unlocked when I was discharged from the hospital. Yang Xianrong, his brother-in-law Liujun, adopted son Huang Jin, and the nurses gave me six to eight bottles of IV fluid every day. At the time, I weighed less than 88 pounds. When they had a hard time finding a vein for the needle, they inserted a rubber tube into my nose instead and left it in for eight days. By the time they took it out, the tube was corroded. It was a very painful eight days. My stomach and heart hurt, and and my vision became blurred. Yang Xianrong cruelly said to me, “We are saving you.” I was released on April 30th, 2003. By then I was emaciated and stayed at home recovering for over a month.

After I returned home, Yang Tingfa, Party secretary of the village, came to my home to harass me, saying that the higher authorities told him to pay me a visit.

Yang Tingfa, Ge Xianshan, Pengzhou City 610 Office staff, Luo Minqiang from the township police station, and a dozen others showed up at my home and told me to go to the village office to fill out the form for a farming security deposit. I knew it was a lie, so I told them that I would not talk about official business at night. I said, “I will not open the door tonight.” They got angry and climbed over the wall and opened the door. They barged into my home and dragged me out. At the time, my parents-in-law, in their 60s, were at home with me. They could only look on helplessly at the perpetrators forcefully taking me away. I taken to the Sansheng Temple Brainwashing Centre in Fengle Township and detained for 25 days. I was released on October 1st, 2010.

From the time I was released to December 22nd, 2010, Chang Ping, director of the Pengzhou City 610 Office, and Zhang Mei went to my daughter's home to harass her. They came to my home twice with Xiao Yikai, head of the village, to harass me. The officials from the provincial 610 Office and Gexianshan Township, as well as Xiao Yikai and Qian Anju from Pengzhou City 610 Office, also came to my home to harass me. When they asked if I still practised Falun Gong, I replied, “Yes.” After officials Li and Wang from the provincial 610 Office left, Qian Anju encouraged the official from Gexianshan Township, named Cao, and three officers to ransack my home. I heard them asking my in-laws where I was and discussing how to persecute me, so I escaped.

I have a good family, but now I cannot return home because of the persecution by the village Party committee and the Gexianshan Township Government. I call on the people of the world to help put an end to this unprecedented persecution.


1. "Death Bed" torture: A practitioner is tied to a bed with his hands handcuffed above his head to the bed rails, and his legs tied with thin nylon ropes. The rope is then tightly wrapped around the practitioner's body and the bed, from his legs to his chest. The rope is wrapped so tightly that the practitioner has difficulty breathing and eventually loses consciousness.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.