Mr. Bai Shaohua Hung Up and Beaten by Beijing Police for Five Days

On February 20th, 2008, Mr. Bai Shaohua (37 years old) and Mr. Yang Hui were driving from the Beijing urban district to Huairou District when they were stopped by the Beijing Chinese Communist Party (CCP) police using the excuse of "a security check" for the Beijing Olympic Games. The two were subsequently taken to the Huairou District Detention Centre. Because the police discovered Falun Gong materials such as CDs exposing the persecution in the vehicle, they interrogated Mr. Bai using torture, attempting to force him to reveal the source of the materials. Mr. Bai refused to betray fellow practitioners and did not cooperate. From February 20th to 25th, 2008, he was hung up by handcuffs and beaten mercilessly by Beijing police and prison guards.

Mr. Bai Shaohua was tortured so severely that the police feared he would die at the detention centre and that they would be held responsible for his death, so they transported him to the Qinghe Emergency Centre in Beijing for medical attention. About three weeks before, Mr. Bai Shaohua's friend, practitioner Mr. Yu Zhou, had been tortured to death in the same Emergency Centre. Mr. Yu Zhou and his wife, Ms. Xu Na, had also been stopped on their way home from work and arrested by Beijing CCP officers, who claimed to be conducting "a security check" in advance of the Beijing Olympic Games.

Even though Mr. Bai's life was threatened as a result of the torture and he required emergency medical care, the CCP personnel concealed his condition, refused to let his family visit, and refused his right to an attorney.

After his terrible predicament was publicized, Falun Gong practitioners both inside and outside of China, telephoned, demanding proper medical attention for Mr. Bai. The Beijing Police Department CCP personnel ignored his frail, life-threatening condition and sentenced him to one year of forced labour. It is believed that Mr. Bai will also have to make up the remaining two months of forced labour from the sentence he received in 2005. On February 18th, due to his weakened condition, he required the assistance of two people to walk when he was taken to the second team of the Beijing Forced Labour Dispatching Division, where its evil reputation of severely abusing Falun Gong practitioners is well known.

Mr. Bai Shaohua was placed in solitary confinement by the Beijing Forced Labour Dispatching Division. He went on a hunger strike in protest. Practitioner Mr. Yang Hui was arrested with Mr. Bai Shaohua and was transported on the same bus. He was sentenced to two and half years of forced labour. It is believed that he is now being held at Tuanhe Forced Labour Camp in Beijing. His personal items, such as his vehicle, computer, and mobile phones, were confiscated by the Beijing police. Beijing practitioner Mr. Qi Wei, who lent the vehicle to Mr. Bai Shaohua and Mr. Yang Hui, has been imprisoned at the Beijing Chaoyang District Detention Centre. Mr. Qi Wei's family has filed a lawsuit against the Beijing Chaoyang District Procuratorate, with accusations against the police and the CCP personnel responsible for his arrest.

Huairou District Police Department, Beijing: 86-10-89687608, 86-10-89687619
Primary preliminary hearing officer Wang Pan

Assistant preliminary hearing officer: Qi (last name)
Huairou District Detention Centre Manager Meng Xianghai (male): 86-10-61697828, transfer to manager

Mr. Bai Shaohua is now in the fifth cell in the third area.

Detention centre switchboard: 86-10-010-61697828 (Transfer to various extensions: manager in charge: 53542, manager and deputy-manager: 51529)

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.