Mr. Liang Zhihong Detained in Prison for Six Years and Repeatedly Tortured

Name: Liang Zhihong
Gender: Male
Age: 44
Address: Xinchengbao Second Village, Shenbei New District, Shenyang
Occupation: Farmer
Date of Most Recent Arrest: July 30th, 2001
Most recent place of detention: Anshan Prison
City: Anshan
Province: Liaoning
Persecution Suffered: Detention, kicking, doused with cold water, sitting board, imprisonment, torture, brutal beatings, handcuffing, long-term standing, hung up, solitary confinement, electric shock, forced labour

Mr. Liang Zhihong started to practise Falun Gong in 1996. He was arrested in July 2001 and was sentenced to six years in prison. He was transferred to three different prisons and was repeatedly tortured. As a result, his teeth loosened and his forearm was broken. He still has not recovered.

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) started its full-scale persecution against Falun Gong on July 20th, 1999. Mr. Liang Zhihong went around and told people that Falun Gong is good. He also posted signs that read “Falun Gong is good” on walls.

At 3:00 a.m. on July 31st, 2001, Shi Defeng, Director of Village Public Security, led He Jian and other policemen from the Xinchengzi Police Station to break into Mr. Liang Zhihong’s home. The police took Mr. Liang and his older brother Liang Zhiqun to the Xinchengzi Domestic Security Division. He Jian asked his supervisor how to handle the two people. Section Chief Zhang (female) said he should make something up to charge him with.

Mr. Liang Zhihong and his brother were detained in the Xinchengzi Detention Centre. As soon as he entered the cell, a detainee asked him why he was being detained. Mr. Liang said that he practised Falun Gong and did not commit any crime. The detainee then turned his face away from him. As soon as Mr. Liang turned around, the detainee kicked him down to the ground. Then the cell head, Zha Jiwei, slowly poured cold water on him. He poured 20 buckets in total. Afterwards, they forced Mr. Liang to sit on a small board. In the detention centre, every meal only had a 3-oz bun and a ladle of vegetable soup. Falun Gong practitioners were not allowed to practise the exercises or study the Falun Gong teachings. If anyone did not follow the rules, the guards would shock them with electric batons.

In November 2001, Dong Shuliang was the Director of the Shenbei New District 610 Office (an organisation of special agents just for persecuting Falun Gong). He manipulated the Xinchengzi Court to hold a court session against Mr. Liang Zhihong. The deputy dean at that time was the presiding judge and Zhang Fengzhen was the public prosecutor. In the court, Mr. Liang said: “Falun Gong teaches people to be good and to not commit crimes. You said I undermined the law. Which law did I undermine?” The judge had nothing to say.

Several days later, Mr. Liang was sentenced to six years in prison. Mr. Liang said, “I did not commit a crime. You will receive retribution for illegally sentencing me.” The judge said, “It was not us who made the decision. It was the Intermediate Court. It is useless to appeal. The 610 Office issued the order and I am not afraid of retribution.”

Mr. Liang Zhihong was 36 years old that year. His two children were young and his mother was elderly. All of the burden of taking care of the family fell on his wife’s shoulders.

In December 2001, Mr. Liang Zhihong was transferred to the Shenyang First Prison, where he was forced to sit on a plank bed and not allowed to talk. Later on, he was transferred to the Shenyang Second Prison. About 20 Falun Gong practitioners were detained in a prison cell. The practitioners were forced to recite the prison regulations every day, and were not allowed to talk, leave the room, study the Falun Gong teachings or practise the exercises. When using the toilet, they were monitored by designated people. The breakfast served was a ladle of corn flake soup, a bit of pickle and a small bun. Lunch was a big bun and a ladle of soup. Dinner was a bun and another ladle of soup.

Mr. Liang Zhihong was transferred to the Lingyuan First Prison on February 17th, 2002 because he went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. Mr. Liang was assigned to the Sixth Division.

One day in 2004, Meng Xianwei, Chief of the Sixth Division, called Mr. Liang Zhihong to the Security Post around 4:00 p.m. and asked him if he still practised Falun Gong. Mr. Liang said, “It is not your business.” Meng Xianwei had just drunk a lot of alcohol. He was irritated by what Mr. Liang said and grabbed a thick book and hit Ms. Liang’s head. Then Meng hit Mr. Liang’s right eye and Mr. Liang was knocked to the ground. Prisoner Hao Yong also came to help Meng. The two brutally beat Mr. Liang for more than ten minutes. Afterwards, Mr. Liang was dragged to the guard’s office, handcuffed and forced to stand for an extended period of time.

At that time, Mr. Liang’s right eye was black and he could not open it. There was a 3-cm wound in the inside of his lower lip and four of his teeth were loose. His right forearm was broken and blood dripped from his mouth onto his shirt and trousers.

At about 5:00 p.m., Mr. Liang was forced to sit on a stool in the hallway. Prisoner Jin Nanxing was on duty to monitor him and make an observational record. Prisoner head Hao Yong came over after getting drunk, and told Mr. Liang to write a guarantee letter to not practise Falun Gong. Mr. Liang said, “It is a matter between me and the government, it's not your business.” Hao Yong was angry and hit Mr. Liang on his temple, knocking him to the ground. There was a depression about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide on his skull. Mr. Liang could not sleep the entire night. The next day, he was forced to do labour and was monitored by prisoner Zhao Wei.

In the Lingyuan Prison, Mr. Liang was twice confined in a small cell. The first time was because he practised the Falun Gong exercises. Guard Li Zhimin shocked his neck with an electric baton. Mr. Liang was confined in the small cell for more than 50 days. The small cell is 9 feet long and less than 3 feet wide. There is a bed, tap and a toilet in it. Two meals per day are served. The opening for delivering meals is the only ventilation. The second time Mr. Liang was confined was because he had read Falun Gong articles. Mr. Liang was confined in the small cell again for more than 50 days.

In February 2005, Mr. Liang Zhihong was transferred to the First Division of the Anshan Prison. Upon arrival, prisoner Xin Zhong asked Mr. Liang if he still practised Falun Gong. Mr. Liang said it is his personal belief. Xin Zhong then hit Mr. Liang’s head five times with the sole of a plastic shoe.

Deputy warden Zhang Tielin and Prison Administration Second Head Liu Xihao are very wicked. Mr. Liang Zhihong had once been beaten by prisoners, including Yin Shuhai, until he fainted. His ribs were also broken at that time. He was then confined in the Strict Management Team and was monitored by Liu Hui and Li Changli. Liu Xihao hung Mr. Liang up for more than 12 hours.

Mr. Liang was released from the Anshan Prison on July 30th, 2007. During the six years of persecution, Mr. Liang was strictly monitored four times, for 126 days in total.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.