Ms. Xu Suxia Tortured in Gaoyang Labour Camp in Hebei Province for Years

Ms. Xu Suxia is a Falun Gong practitioner from Chengde City Hebei province. She began practising Falun Gong in 1998. Because of refusing to renounce her belief, she was detained at Gaoyang labour camp from 2000 to 2003 and brutally tortured.

On April 5th, 2000, police from the Public Security Bureau ransacked Ms. Xu Suxia's home, confiscated a handwritten copy of the Falun Gong book Zhuan Falun. They arrested, interrogated and transferred her to Chengde detention centre. After arriving there, they stripped off her clothes for a body search. They forced her to watch practitioners being tortured and held her in solitary confinement. When she went on a hunger strike to protest the torture, she was force-fed. Ten days later, she was taken to the Gaoyang Forced Labour Camp in Hebei Province along with other practitioners and sentenced to a two-year forced labour term.

After arriving, warden Ye Shuxian searched her. She stripped Ms. Xu's of her clothes and tore the bed sheets and covers. She demanded that Ms. Xu commit in writing to renounce Falun Gong. When Ms. Xu refused, Ye slapped her face, stepped on her toes with leather shoes and kicked her legs. After Ye got tired, she slapped Ms. Xu's face with her leather belt. Other guards got involved in torturing Ms. Xu, which lasted until dark. Then, an officer with the surname Wang shocked her with electric batons. Her face was injured, and her eyes were so swollen that she could not see. After that she was transferred to the strict monitoring team. That night, they deprived her of sleep and made her stand upright until 2 a.m., when they told her to sleep on the floor. The room was filled with mosquitoes and flies. Ye beat her, insulted her, interrogated her, forced her to stand up, and made her stand under the blazing sun. On August 3rd, the people that were detained at the strict-monitoring team were reassigned to various teams. They were forced to work for over ten hours daily. On August 17th, Ms. Xu was taken to an isolation cell. At noon on August 22nd, guards ordered a male inmate to handcuff Ms. Xu and make her sit on a small stool. The inmate pressed on her shoulders, while a guard with the surname Liang shocked her arms, legs, hands and feet with electric batons until she had blisters everywhere.

On August 26th, guards again beat her. They threatened that should she not renounce Falun Gong, they would continue to beat her.

In November of 2002, on the evening of the Party's Sixteenth People's Representative Conference, two women guards and inmates pushed Xu Suxia into a car. They were wearing a heavy coat while Xu Suxia was only wearing a thin sweater. They said, "We will keep you awake." They took her to a forest two miles away and put her arms around a large tree trunk before handcuffing her. They shocked her back and arms with electric batons and asked, "Why did you refuse to be transformed [forcibly renounce Falun Gong]?" Ms. Xu told them about the beauty of Falun Gong and how she benefited from practising it. The guards continued to shock her. Then, they sat in the car to warm up and left Ms. Xu handcuffed to the tree. One hour later, they asked her the same question. Ms. Xu responded, "I will not be 'transformed'." They insulted her and went back to the car. Ms. Xu refused to be transformed although they kept asking her four more times. They took off her handcuffs. By then, Ms. Xu Suxia could no longer walk, so they pulled her to the car. Not just Ms. Xu, but other practitioners were tortured the same way that day.

In the morning on November 9th, guards took Ms. Xu to a small cell on the second floor. They handcuffed her. Two guards Wang and Liu simultaneously shocked her with electric batons, and beat and insulted her. They tortured her for two hours until her entire body was injured. Because she refused to renounce Falun Gong, they locked her in an isolation room and asked three inmates to transform her. If she refused their attempt they could beat her.

On November 18th, they took her to an old house near the vegetable field. The windows were covered with a bed sheet. Inside was a sofa for guards and a bed board on the floor with handcuff next to it. In the middle of the room, there was a pile of charcoal. Ms. Xu was forced to sit on the bed board. Her hands were handcuffed to the opposite ends of the bed and she wasn't allowed to move. She was not allowed to sleep at night. On November 20th, Liu shocked her neck with electric batons.

On November 26th, 2002, guard Wang Zhitai, known for being brutal, was assigned to monitor Ms. Xu. On December 1st, she was taken to another room on the first floor. There are seven or eight torture rooms on that floor. They handcuffed her to the bed board and beat her, while Wang hit her head, because she refused to renounce Falun Gong. Xu Suxia's head and face were swollen. He then kicked her and shocked her with electric batons. On December 4th, Ms. Xu went on a hunger strike to protest the torture. In return she was tortured even more viciously. Ye grabbed her hair and beat her. Then, Wang Zhitai grabbed her hair and threw her against the wall. On day four of the hunger strike she was force fed with salty corn porridge.

On the morning of December 12th, guards hid the handcuffs and hid all torture instruments because Ms. Xu's second daughter-in-law and another practitioner were to visit her.

One day after lunch, guards again took her to a torture cell where they beat, insulted and shocked her with electric batons. Ms. Xu fell to the ground with the electric baton underneath her body. She rolled back and forth, could not breathe and fainted. They took her to a darkened isolation cell on December 1st. She was deprived of sleep. There was water everywhere and her shoes and bedcovers were all wet. She had bruises from the electric shocks all over her body. On December 18th, they gave her fresh bed covers and allowed her to sleep. The next day they slandered Falun Gong. Ms. Xu told them the facts about Falun Gong, so the torture continued and only was stopped when she was near collapse.

On December 27th, Wang, Li and Ye came to the isolation cell to transform Ms. Xu. Ye Shuxian and several guards kicked and beat her. She was tortured for over one month. Ms. Xu had wounds all over her body. She was finally taken back to her cell on January 24th, 2003.

In March of 2003, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) demanded that all practitioners that refused to renounce Falun Gong be transferred from the Shijiazhuang, Baoding and Tangshan labour camps to Gaoyang Labour Camp. Practitioners were treated even more cruelly in that camp. Loudspeakers broadcasted materials that slandered Falun Gong throughout the day. In mid-April, Ms. Xu shouted, "Falun Gong is good!" They beat her and handcuffed her to a bed. On May 4th, she was taken to a room in the East building, where she was handcuffed and monitored by inmates around the clock. Wang deprived her of sleep for several days. They beat her when she moved or blinked her eyes. Wang hit her head until she felt dizzy. Being muddle-headed after all the torture, she copied transformation material. Later, when she became clear, she declared that all she wrote was invalid, so she was tortured again. She was not allowed to close her eyes for twenty-four hours. Wang beat her and a woman guard with the surname of Zhang tortured her. One night, they took off her shoes and socks and shocked her soles with electric batons. The next night, Zhang, Wang, two guards, two inmates and three helpers handcuffed her and forced her to sit on a bed board with both legs straight. They placed a board on top and another underneath her legs. Two guards sat on top of the board. Zhang grabbed her neck and insulted, slapped and pinched her face. Her hands were handcuffed to each side of the bed. They put a wooden board on top of her hands and sat on top of the board. They said, "You said that you were transformed. Now you changed your mind. We will teach you a lesson."

In the autumn of 2003, guards monitored her continuously. One day at noon when they showed up, Ms. Xu shouted, "Falun Gong is good!" They were shocked. The head on duty immediately came over and covered her mouth. Li Yu and other guards took her back to the dark isolation cell. They beat, kicked and shocked her with electric batons. Guard Zhang (female) kicked her face with her leather shoes. They tortured her until midnight. Ms. Xu Suxia was so weak that she could not walk. Her face was swollen. They extended her term for another fifteen days. She was finally released at the end of December of 2003.

After she returned home, police from local police station often harassed her. On May 16th, 2004, Ms. Xu was arrested and taken to the Chengde City Luchazigou brainwashing centre by the 610 Office (an organisation of special agents just for persecuting Falun Gong). Ji Yazhou and Li Daqing from the 610 Office were in charge. Li Jingfang was ordered to transform her. Half a month later, Xu Suxia went on a hunger strike. Ji Yazhou ordered force-feeding six days later.

One day, Ms. Xu's relatives came to visit her. Xu Suxia said that Falun Gong is good, so Ji Yazhou shouted and insulted her. When her relatives left, he took Xu Suxia to a solitary confinement cell in the basement. There were spider webs all over. On September 4th, she was moved to another room facing the sun. Li Daqing pushed her to the ground, kicked and beat her. He grabbed her hair and dragged her back to the isolation cell. She lost lots of hair. Xu Suxia said, "This is proof that you beat me." On September 6th, Ms. Xu Suxia reported to guard Li Jingfang about being beaten up. But, Li just ignored it. On September 10th, Ji Yazhou took her to another cell and said, "People from higher up ordered that you be taken to a brainwashing class in the provincial city." But, if truth be told, they moved her to clean the cell of all her hair that had fallen out. After lunch, her work unit took her home and ended the four-month-long torture in the brainwashing centre.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.