Shantou City Court Clerk Mr. Xie Chunfeng Tortured

Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Xie Chunfeng from Shantou City, Guangdong Province graduated from Zhongshan University in 1996 and worked as a clerk at the No. 2 Criminal Court of the Shantou City Intermediate Court. Over the last 10 years, he has been repeatedly detained for refusing to give up his belief in Falun Gong.

After the persecution began in July 1999, Mr. Xie went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. On August 1st, 1999, he was arrested and taken to the Tiananmen Square Police Station for doing the sitting meditation in Tiananmen Square. After being released, he was put under house arrest and then sent to a brainwashing facility.

Shortly thereafter, Mr. Xie was detained and tortured in a mental hospital. He was subsequently subjected to multiple arrests, brainwashing, several periods of long-term detention, torture, and forced labour.

The following are details of the persecution suffered by Mr. Xie:

Tortured for Nine Months in Shantou University Mental Hospital

In September 1999, the Shantou Intermediate Court Police, with the help of Lin Kunchi, the assistant to the president of the Shantou Intermediate Court, arrested Xie Chunfeng again and took him to Shantou University Mental Hospital.

Upon his arrival at the hospital, Mr. Xie was tied to a bed and injected with unknown drugs, which caused severe symptoms, including neck spasms that resulted in his head constantly swinging to the left. He also felt dizzy, his eyes turned a yellowish colour, and his head felt very heavy.

After 9 months of torture at the mental hospital, Mr. Xie was forced to quit his job at the court.

Detained at a Forced Labour Camp for One Year

In October 2000, Mr. Xie was arrested while doing the sitting meditation by officers from the Waisha Police Station and personnel from the the Denghai 610 Office (an organisation of special agents just for persecuting Falun Gong). He was charged with "disrupting social order" and sentenced to one year of forced labour at Sanshui Forced Labour Camp in Guangdong Province.

Tortured for a Year at Daxing Detention Centre

Upon being released from the labour camp at the end of September 2001, Mr. Xie went to Tiananmen Square to appeal against the persecution of Falun Gong. He was arrested by officers from the Tiananmen Square Police Station and held in the Daxing Detention Centre in Beijing for one year.

Since Mr. Xie refused to identify himself during his detention, officers from the State Security Bureau punched, kicked and knocked him down repeatedly in an effort to force him to give them his real name. They also stripped off his clothes down to his underwear in the cold of winter, and dragged him out into the snow and left him on the frozen pond's ice for more than half an hour. He was also shackled for 6 months at the detention centre.

Tortured for Five Months at Denghai Detention Centre

In October, 2002, the Shantou City 610 Office and personnel from the City Intermediate Court brought Mr. Xie back to Shantou and detained him at the Denghai Detention Centre for nearly five months. On one occasion, the deputy head of the detention centre covered Mr. Xie's mouth with tape and handcuffed his hands and feet together. This torture lasted for a whole week.

Detained at a Forced Labour Camp for a Second Time

Mr. Xie was detained in the Sanshui Forced Labour Camp for a second time from February 25th to September 13th, 2003. He was confined in solitary confinement for ten days because he refused to give up his belief, and was shocked with electric batons many times.

On one occasion, five prison guards used three high-voltage electric batons to shock Mr. Xie all over his body except the genitals, while they poured water on him. The torture lasted for over one hour--until the electric batons were fully discharged.

Upon his release from the labour camp in September 2003, the Shantou City 610 Office immediately sent Xie Chunfeng to a brainwashing centre for three months.

Several days before the 2004 Chinese New Year, Mr. Xie left home in order to avoid being arrested again.

Those directly involved in the persecution of Mr. Xie:

Xu Yang, Deputy Party Secretary, Shantou City 610 Office and Political & Judiciary Commission: 86-0754-88868038 (home), 86-13902743541 (Mobile)
Huang Pengxiang, Principal of Shantou Brainwashing Centre: 86-0754-88835268 (home), 86-13902777168 (Mobile)

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.