Mr. Bu Fanwei Tortured and Imprisoned for Nine Years

Name: Bu Fanwei
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Address: Xihua Street, Tahe County, Heilongjiang Province, China
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: August 17th, 2001
Most Recent Place of Detention: Daqing Prison, Heilongjiang Province
City: Daqing
Province: Heilongjiang
Persecution Suffered: Electric shocks, beatings, solitary confinement, torture, force-feedings, physical restraint, imprisonment, detention.
Key Persecutors: Wang Jiaren Daqing Prison deputy director; Li Weinan Political Affairs Department assistant chairman; Li Weilong Political Affairs Department chairman; Yuan Hongjun Punishment Execution section chief; Gao Zhonghua Violence Prevention Team guard; Liu Qi small cell guard; Jiang Shuchen Daqing Prison deputy director; Cheng Junchang District No. 4 chief.

Mr. Bu Fanwei spent nine years in prison from August 1999 to 2009. He was just twenty years old at the time of the initial detention. He was detained at more than ten detention centres, forced labour camps, and prisons during this period, and he encountered inhumanly cruel persecution and torture, which left him in critical condition several times.

Mr. Bu started practising Falun Gong as a teenager. He was kind, good-natured, considerate, and well liked by everyone around him.

When the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)started to openly persecute Falun Gong in 1999, Mr. Bu appealed for justice for Falun Gong and persisted in his belief in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. As a result of the persecution, he was arrested and detained many times, and imprisoned for a total of nine years.

In August 1999, Mr. Bu was detained for 15 days at Tahe County Detention Centre.

In 2000, Mr. Bu was detained at the Tahe County Police Department. He was then sentenced to one year of forced labour at the Suihua City Forced Labour Camp.

In February 2001, Mr. Bu was sent to the Tuanhe Forced Labour Camp in Beijing, and in June sent to Beijing's Dongcheng District Detention Centre.

On August 17th, 2001, Dongcheng District Court in Beijing sentenced Mr. Bu to eight years in prison for holding up a "Falun Gong is Good" banner at Tiananmen Square.

In October 2001, Mr. Bu was imprisoned at Harbin Prison. He was brutally persecuted, with prison guards instructing other prisoners to torture him.

In the cold winter of 2002, with temperatures of minus 30 to 40° Celsius (-22 to -40° F), several individuals threw Mr. Bu into a cold pool, and then dragged him outside while continuously pouring cold water on him. For a period of time, Mr. Bu was forced to undergo this treatment almost every day.

In September 2003, a guard at Harbin Prison inserted a sharpened bamboo chopstick under Mr. Bu's fingernail and ripped off the nail.

In July 2004, Mr. Bu was transferred to District No. 4 of Daqing Prison. Due to severe persecution and torture up to this time, he was extremely thin and had lost the ability to care for himself. He could only lay on the bed, and he needed help to even go to the toilet. He was dependent on intravenous injections of normal saline and potassium to stay alive. However, even under these circumstances, Daqing Prison continued torturing him. He was force-fed once every three days, with the tubing being pulled in and out repeatedly, which caused bleeding from his nose and mouth. When Mr. Bu's family saw that he was very near death, they strongly demanded that the prison release him for medical treatment, but the prison refused. Deputy director Jiang Shuchen and District No. 4 chief Cheng Junchang said, "He is already helpless. He will die anyway even with medical treatment. There is nothing we can do if he dies."

On August 24th, 2004, Daqing Prison deputy director Wang Jiaren, Political Affairs Department chairman Li Weilong, assistant chairman Li Weinan, and Punishment Execution section chief Yuan Hongjun, led the Violence Prevention Team and armed guards to conduct a search of all prisoners. Guard Gao Zhonghua used a police baton to strike Mr. Bu on the head. When Mr. Bu fell to the ground, he was locked in a small cell1 and tied to an iron chair. Small cell guard on duty Liu Qi kicked off Mr. Bu's handcuffs using his boot, and Mr. Bu screamed in pain as the handcuffs cut into his flesh. Guard Liu Qi yelled, "I will torture you whenever I am on duty. You will want to die."

In August 2005, the 26-year-old Mr. Bu was very emaciated from severe torture at Daqing Prison, and he was in critical condition. His diastolic blood pressure went down to 40mmHg diastolic and systolic blood pressure went down to 70mmHg, his stool was black, and his breathing was shallow. Nonetheless, the prison refused to release him and continued persecuting him. Mr. Bu's family demanded that he be released for medical treatment, but the prison again refused.

Daqing Prison authorities ordered all the criminals and Falun Gong practitioners to the sports field at 9:00 a.m. on August 4th, 2007. Political Affairs Department chairman Li Weilong and assistant chairman Li Weinan instructed the Violence Prevention Team to beat practitioners, including Mr. Di Zhibin, Mr. Bu, Mr. Wu Chunwen, and others, and put prisoners' uniforms on them. These practitioners were beaten so brutally that they could not get up. They were physically very weak, and Mr. Bu was semi-comatose.
In 2009, Mr. Bu, now a thirty-one year-old man riddled with scars, was released.


1. Small cell - The detainee is locked up alone in a very small cell. The guards handcuff the practitioner's hands behind his back in a fixed position, in which the practitioner can neither move nor lie down. The small cell is very damp and no sunshine comes in. Detainees have to urinate and defecate in the cell. Only half of a regular meal is served to detainees locked up in a small cell during the daytime. During the night rats run about. The stench in the small cell is so bad that it is difficult to breathe.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.