Beijing Practitioner Still Detained Despite His Precarious Health Condition

Just five months after his release from eight years of imprisonment in May 2013, Mr. Wang Zicheng, a Falun Gong practitioner in Beijing, was arrested again along with his wife Zhang Aiping on October 29th. He had developed a debilitating leg problem as a result of torture during his earlier incarceration, and the latest arrest worsened his condition.

The detention centre informed Mr. Wang's family shortly after his arrest that he had lost feeling in his lower body and his arms, and that he could no longer walk by himself. He also became incontinent.

Mr. Wang's family filed multiple appeals to the detention centre to get him released on medical parole, but their requests were denied.

Despite Mr. Wang's precarious condition, Pinggu District Court went ahead with a trial of him and his wife on June 26th, 2014. Unable to walk, he was still shackled and handcuffed, and was literally dragged into the courtroom by four bailiffs.

Though the couple's two lawyers delivered convincing arguments in defense of their freedom of belief in Falun Gong, the judge refused to acquit them and adjourned the trial without issuing a verdict. At present, they are still being held in Pinggu Detention Centre.

Family Beaten for Seeking Answers

Following Mr. Wang and his wife's most recent arrest, Beijing authorities deliberately kept their family in the dark regarding their detention details. Unable to obtain information about their loved ones through normal channels, four of the family members, including three women and one child, paid a visit to Zhang Daming, an officer of the Beijing Domestic Security Office, on January 3rd, 2014.

Instead of addressing the family's concerns, officer Zhang, along with his wife and his father, beat them up. Mr. Wang's family members all ended up with cuts and abrasions on their faces, and the three women had large chunks of their hair yanked out.

Years of Torture and Abuse Suffered by the Couple

From 2003 to 2013, Mr. Wang was detained for a total of eight years, during which he was tortured in various ways. In particular, the torture he suffered at Qianjin Prison in 2010 resulted in loss of mobility in his legs and other health problems.

Mr. Wang's wife, Zhang Aiping, was sentenced to four years in 2003 and sustained physical and psychological injuries as well. After her release, she gradually recovered thanks to her Falun Gong practice. Unfortunately, she was arrested again along with her husband on October 29th, 2013.

Perpetrators Involved

Wang Hui 王辉, Director of detention centre
Niu Hechun 牛河村, Political Committee secretary
Ren Bingwang 任丙旺, Director of Binhe Police Station
Wang Junchang 王军长, Vice-director of Binhe Police Station
Wang Xin 王馨, Liu Xiaoxu 刘晓旭, Pre-trial brigade
Cui Xiaoqin 崔小琴, Public Prosecutor
Wu Lin 武林, Court Presiding Judge

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.