Mr. Liu Zhaofu from Jiaohe City, Jilin Province, Arrested; His Wife Persecuted As Well

Name: Liu Zhaofu
Gender: Male
Age: Unknown
Address: Jiaohe City, Jilin Province
Occupation: Employee of Jianhe City Administration of Radio, Film, and Television
Date of Most Recent Arrest: September 22nd, 2011
Most Recent Place of Detention: Jiaohe City Detention Centre
City: Jiaohe
Province: Jilin
Persecution Suffered: Detention

Name: Shi Xiuzhen
Gender: Female
Age: 58
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Retired from Jiaohe City Automobile Passenger Transportation Corporation
Date of Most Recent Arrest: March 18th, 2008
Most Recent Place of Detention: Hezuizi Women's Prison
City: Changchun
Province: Jilin
Persecution Suffered: Forced labour, beatings, hanging up, torture, detention

Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Liu Zhaofu was arrested on September 22nd, 2011, and has been detained at the Jiaohe City Detention Centre. The police are threatening to send him to prison.

Jiaohe police visited one of his relatives before his arrest. They told this relative that, since Mr. Liu had been living elsewhere and destitute for three years to avoid persecution, if he returned home and paid the police over ten thousand yuan, he could return to work. The relative called Mr. Liu’s mobile phone right away, in front of the police. Mr. Liu refused the offer. He was arrested a couple of days later. It is likely that the police used the cell phone signal to determine his location and arrest him.

Mr. Liu worked at Jiaohe City Administration of Radio, Film, and Television and was well regarded at work. His wife, Ms. Shi Xiuzhen, was diagnosed with bone cancer and was only given two months to live. But she started practising Falun Gong at the critical moment and regained her health.

During the Beijing Olympics three years ago, police from Jiaohe, Jilin, were trying to meet a quota for large-scale arrests of Falun Gong practitioners. Mr. Liu was able escape, but his wife was arrested and sentenced to six years in prison. Ms. Shi is currently incarcerated in the Hezuizi Women's Prison.

Ms. Shi was sick in September 1998 and went to a city hospital and Xinzhan Tuberculosis Hospital, but couldn’t be diagnosed. On October 23rd she was transferred to the Changchun Jilin University Hospital and was diagnosed with necroses of the sixth rib. She had bone cancer. A renowned medical expert said she couldn’t have surgery and advised her to go home and prepare for her death. He estimated that Ms. Shi would not last till the beginning of the next year.

Ms. Shi then went back and forth between Changchun and Jiaohe on stretchers. When she returned home, she was fortunate to start practising Falun Gong. In four months she completely recovered. Later on she went to the Jiaohe Hospital for x-rays and an examination. The director of orthopaedics commented that this patient had paraplegia from the chest down. It is unbelievable that she was walking now.

After she started practising Falun Gong, Ms. Shi Xiuzhen was kind to everyone and was filial to her mother-in-law. Her family was happy. However, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) arrested this good person and sent her to prison.

Xinzhan Police Station agents in Jiaohe City arrested her on March 18th, 2008. The police tortured her, trying to extort a confession. Ms. Shi’s family showed the police the x-ray taken when she had bone cancer. But the police tormented her even more after seeing the x-rays. Li Hongxiang, police deputy head, instructed police officers Guo Jicheng, Wang Dukun, and another officer to hang her up by one hand so that her feet could not touch the floor. Then someone kicked her back. Such torture caused excruciating pain. They repeatedly tortured her this way.

Later on, Ms. Shi was sentenced to six years in prison, the sentence to be served at the Hezuizi Women's Prison in Changchun, Jilin Province. Guards would not let her sleep for 13 days straight, trying to brainwash her.

Ms. Shi Xiuzhen’s mother-in-law was almost 80 years old then. No one was available to care for her after her son left home to avoid persecution and her daughter-in-law was arrested. She had no income. Even buying food, washing clothes, and cooking were big ordeals for her. The landlord wanted to make her move. Fortunately, she met some kind people and was able to avoid living on the streets. Police had repeatedly demanded to know her son's whereabouts. The old woman was hospitalised several times. She died at the end of 2009. This once happy family was destroyed.

City Political and Judicial Committee:

Hao Zhuang, deputy head: +86-432-67010001
Liu Chunqin, deputy head: +86-432-67250806, 67220101, +86-13904449765
Xu Baolin, deputy head: +86-432-67250697, 67269088, +86-13704444717
Liu Xiuyun, office head: +86-432-67250807, 67266509, +86-13844289501

City 610 Office:

Sun Hongcheng, deputy head: +86-432-67250977, +86-13804444326
Pan Honglin, deputy head: +86-432-67248610, 67753699
Zhang Xiaoming, head: +86-432-67250856, +86-13943208576

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.