The Police at Guangyuan Jail in Sichuan Province Instigated Prisoners to Viciously Torture Falun Gong Practitioners

Guangyuan Jail began jailing and torturing Falun Gong practitioners in 2003. For the past seven years, not a single day has gone by without practitioners being tortured. Some of the worst examples are described below.

The Truth of the “3.18” Incident when the Police of Guangyuan Jail Collaborated with the Prisoners to Torture Practitioners

On March 18th, 2009, the police with the No. 3 District of Guangyuan Jail collaborated with criminal prisoners to violently torture Falun Gong practitioners. The jail did not properly deal with this criminal offence. Instead, the jail made a false counter-charge that it was a “disturbance.” As a result, the Sichuan Province Procuratorate ordered the Guangyuan City Procuratorate to carry out a more extensive investigation. After investigating and collecting evidence from different sources, it was determined that this was a criminal offence committed by the police collaborating with the prisoners to violently torture practitioners. To this day, neither the Guangyuan City nor the Yingshan (Town) Procuratorate has reached a conclusion concerning the investigation of the “3.18 Incident,” and the offenders still remain at large.

At noon on March 18th, 2009, instigated by Officer Li Senquan from the No. 3 Jail District, criminal prisoners Yang Taoyuan, Ma Cheng, Dong Ping, and Yang Gang locked practitioner Mr. Ran Tongyi, who was over 60 years old, into a small room on the second floor of the jail residential building. The prisoners shut the windows tightly before they did so-called “transforming education,” pressuring Mr. Ran to write the three statements to give up following Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. Mr. Ran kept telling them about the beauty of Falun Gong. These people slapped him in the face several times and later punched and kicked him. They also pulled his hands, legs, and neck. As a result, he was on the verge of death.

At 3:00 p.m., practitioners who were aware that Mr. Ran was being tortured reported it to officer Li Senquan, asking that this violent crime be investigated in a timely manner. Li Senquan completely ignored them and ran to the basketball court with a basketball. On the court several prisoners who had tortured Mr. Ran were very proud of themselves in front of district director He Bin and police officer Li Senquan. Prisoner Yang Gang yelled at them, “Thank you, officers, for giving us this opportunity to practice our skills and win honour. Mr. Ran was fixed and suffered miserably.” While he was talking, prisoner Dong Ping pushed practitioner Mr. Min Qinjun down on the basketball court. Many prisoners swarmed over to beat Mr. Min, who was lying on the ground. He Bin pushed practitioner Mr. Xu Weidong, who was chased by a prisoner over to the group, and severely beat him, cursing and yelling, “You will be beaten to death and it will count for nothing!” Li Senquan then viciously threw the basketball at Mr. Xu. It happened to hit He Bin in the face. His glasses fell off, he got a terrible nosebleed, and his hand was injured. Only then did the beatings stop.

However, officers Li Senquan, Feng Wenjia, and Yang Xianghe immediately shut Mr. Min Qinjun into the “transforming” [forcibly renounce Falun Gong] office to continue to torture him with electric baton shocks and slaps in the face. Mr. Min Qinjun was bloody and smelled of burnt flesh after being shocked in several places with electric batons.

At 7:00 p.m. on March 18th, the Party secretary of the No. 3 District, Gou Jianfeng, hosted a meeting where he defamed Falun Gong by deliberately confusing right and wrong and announcing that the entire violent episode was a “Falun Gong disturbance.” (In fact, during the entire incident on “3.18” when the police collaborated with the prisoners to torture the practitioners, the practitioners adhered to their belief in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance with no counter-violence at all.) He announced that there would be “strict consequences.” As a result, Mr. Xu Weidong, Mr. Yang Zhengming, and Mr. Min Qinjun were wrongfully confined to small cells for one month (there are three small confinement rooms in District 3).
Also Mr. Tao Yuan and Mr. Peng Boding (whose mother was tortured to death in 2008 in Nanmusi Women's Labour Camp in Sichuan Province) were severely beaten again by the police. Mr. Tao was handcuffed to the pole at the basketball court until midnight and lost consciousness several times because of severe injuries from being held up. More than 20 other practitioners in the No. 3 District were further surrounded by the prisoners. The practitioners were not allowed to participate in any activities, talk to others, communicate by mail, receive packages, or make phone calls. Many practitioners held in Guangyuan Jail have not been allowed to see their families or to phone them. Take Mr. Xu Weidong for example. He was not allowed to meet with his family for seven or eight years. Mr. Xu Langzhou was allowed to phone his family only once in six years. Mr. Xu Langzhou’s mother, who was over 70 years old, travelled to Guangyuan Jail to visit her son six times, but she was always turned away.

Mr. Tao Yuan sustained severe injuries from a police beating on March 18th. In the afternoon on March 20th, the police again forced him to work carrying cement poles. He lost consciousness and the cement poles he carried on his shoulders fell on him. He sustained six broken vertebrae and his head bled profusely.

The above is the truth about the “3.18 Disturbance” that took place in Guangyuan Jail in 2009. To this day, despite being ordered to carry out a “further investigation,” neither the Guangyuan Procuratorate nor the Yingshan Town Procuratorate has issued any official conclusion concerning the “3.18” incident. They did not investigate or bring the real criminals to justice. They did not redress all the false charges against Falun Gong.

What Happened in Guangyuan Jail on Monday, July 20th, 2009

Prisoners Xiang Cheng and Li Ping severely beat and slapped Mr. Wang Huaifu, over 60 years old, in the face, with the excuse that he had the new Falun Gong lectures with him. Later, in order to win honour and reduce their sentences, they reported: “Mr. Wang Huaifu and Mr. Zeng Geping are difficult to supervise.” He Bin told the prisoners: “When they (referring to Falun Gong practitioners) are difficult to deal with, just torture them!” Li Senquan also added, “Just follow Mr. He’s instructions. After you torture them to death, just cremate their bodies.”

Under this instigation, Xiang Cheng, Dong Ping, and Deng Hu went first to the residential building to do so-called forced transformation. They forced Mr. Wang Huaifu to sit on a small stool for three days and nights. They wouldn't let him stand up, walk, close his eyes, or sleep. The prisoners also cursed and insulted him with foul language. However Mr. Wang did not get angry and did not write the three statements to give up cultivation. Xiang Cheng, Dong Ping, Deng Hu, Li Ping, and Wang Jiangxiong smashed Mr. Wang’s head against the wall at 3:00 a.m. Their cursing and physical abuse woke the whole residential building. Mr. Wang fell down in miserable cries.

On Wednesday, July 22nd, prisoners Yang Lei, Liu Guangquan, and Fang Guangjun, supervised by Li Senquan, exposed Mr. Zeng Geping to extreme heat under the sun for four days. Mr. Zeng was not even allowed to wipe the sweat and dust off his face and glasses. If they saw him trying to wipe his face, Liu Guangquan and Fang Guangjun would rush over to grab his hand and slap his face several times. They also yelled, “This is the instruction from the officers, and you are not allowed to move!” Mr. Zeng collapsed and passed out, but he steadfastly upheld his belief in Falun Gong.

On Saturday, July 25th, at around 6 p.m., instigated by Li Senquan, prisoners Yang Lei, Liu Guangquan, and Fang Guangjun beat Mr. Zeng Geping. After four days’ exposure to the severe heat of the sun, Mr. Zeng was very weak. The prisoners still pushed him to the floor and severely beat him. Prisoner Liu Guanquan’s fists hit the cement floor when he was beating Mr. Zeng. He could not move after receiving this retribution. Mr. Zeng lost consciousness while Fang Guangjun held him up, but Su Bo and Yang Lei were still beating him. They saw that he did not respond for quite some time, but they still cursed him and slapped his face. They also used cigarettes to burn his face and legs and still got no response. After that they went to look for Xiang Cheng and Luo Shaoyong to carry Mr. Zeng Geping to the residential building.
Seeing this miserable abuse, some prisoners immediately reported it to the police on duty, but no one came to make inquiries or to treat or rescue him. Not until 9:00 a.m. on the 27th was Mr. Zeng taken to the medical wing to be treated, and after a rush treatment they took him back to the residential building.

The immediate measures that the jail took that evening were as follows:

1. In order to keep the news of Mr. Zeng Geping's torture being spread, the prisoners, instructed by the police, sounded the “lights out” alarm one hour earlier than scheduled.
2. When Mr. Zeng recovered a little, on August 21st (Friday), the police and prisoners again shut him in the cell room on the third floor of the residential building and continued to torture him.

Guangyuan Jail: Mail Box 104, Guangyuan City, Sichuan Province, Post Code: 628019
Wei Chengjian, chief of the jail
Li Jiang, commissar
Xie Ping, deputy chief
Yao Baocheng, Party secretary general of the No. 2 District
Quan Wei, chief
Gou Jianfeng, Party secretary general of the No. 3 District
Deng Peixing, chief; He Bin, deputy chief
Li Senquan, Yang Xianghe, Feng Wenjia, policemen in the No. 3 District
Zhan Weimin, policeman in charge of the No. 4 District:
Department in charge of investigating the Guangyuan Jail: Yingshan (Town) Procuratorate
Li Jiangmin, Party secretary general of the Procuratorate

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.