Ms. Zhu Baojuan Sent to Shenyang City Women's Prison While on Verge of Death

Name: Zhu Baojuan
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Lihai City, Liaoning Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: July 2008
Most recent place of detention: Shenyang City Women's Prison
City: Shenyang City
Province: Liaoning Province
Persecution Suffered: Beatings, forced injections, forced labour
Key Persecutors: Li Xiangbao Wang Lijun

In July 2008, Ms. Zhu Baojuan was arrested and then sentenced to five years in prison, for her belief in Falun Gong. While imprisoned at the Jinzhou City Second Detention Centre, two large tumours developed in her uterus and she also had a relapse of severe heart disease, which had been cured through practising Falun Gong. She lost consciousness three times due to torture, and she was not able to walk.

On March 26th, 2009, Ms. Zhu was transferred to the Lingzhou City Detention Centre. On July 21st, 2009, Li Xiangbao, director of the detention centre, and guard Wang Lijun, dragged her into a police car and tried for the third time to incarcerate her at the Shenyang City Women's Prison. The prison officials had refused to admit her the first two times due to her health condition. Li tried to use his connections to bypass the normal procedure. He worked on this for three days and Ms. Zhu had to stay in the car for three days. Wang used her connection with prison officials as well. In the end, Ms. Zhu was admitted to the Eleventh Division (for elderly and handicapped). The prison guards still forced her to do labour work.

On July 28th, 2009, Ms. Zhu's family brought some clothes to her at the Linghai City Detention Centre and learner that she had been sent to the prison. They confronted Li Xiangbao about why the family was not notified. Li was not able to give an answer.

On August 3rd, three of Ms. Zhu's family members went to the prison to visit her. After a year of detention, they did not recognise her. She was skinny and very weak with no colour in her face. Her abdomen was bloated and she was not able to stand.

On September 3rd, Ms. Zhu's husband and three other family members came to visit her again. She was still not able to walk. When they asked her what happened, she said, "When the police from the Linghai City State Security Division took me to the Jinzhou City Second Detention Centre, the cell's door was only half open. I was not able to get in. The police kicked me three times with full strength. I have not been able to walk since then."

In prison, Ms. Zhu's heart disease recurred. She was taken to the prison hospital. In the hospital, the doctor gave her injections and IVs. The drugs caused her whole body to convulse. Ms. Zhu was then forcibly given three pills and subsequently lost consciousness.

Ms. Zhu's family asked Cong Zhou, a prison official, why they admitted her when she was on the verge of death. He said that they had admitted prisoners in worse condition. He even said that her family would have to pay for her treatment.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.