The Details of How Daqing Prison Tortured Practitioner Mr. Yuan Qingjiang to Death

On July 23rd 2005, after enduring long-term hideous torture, Dafa practitioner Mr Yuan Qingjiang was tortured to death by Chinese authorities at the Sixth Ward of Daqing Prison.

Yuan Qingjiang

Mr. Yuan Qingjiang was transferred to the Daqing Prison from the Harbin Prison in July 2004. When he arrived he was already injured from brutal tortures at Harbin Prison. In their attempts to "reform"1> him, the Harbin Prison authorities only allowed him to sleep for a couple of hours a day, for 18 days straight. After the extended sleep deprivation, Mr. Yuan developed palsy in his hands, muscle atrophy, chest pain, abdominal swelling, and other physical symptoms, which kept worsening.

At the Daqing Prison his health deteriorated further. Certain prison officials were in favour of allowing Mr. Yuan to see doctors on the outside, but Yuan Qingjiang kindly refused. Instead, he only went to the prison hospital twice and continued studying the Falun Dafa books and practising the exercises, as he believed he would recover faster this way. However, Dong Menghuan, the Sixth Ward chief, as well as other officials of the Daqing Prison, took advantage of the situation. They said since he refused to see a doctor, that Mr. Yuan should be personally responsible for his health. Using this twisted reasoning they tricked Mr. Yuan into signing a statement. Once he signed it, it relieved the prison and the Sixth Ward of responsibility for Mr. Yuan's health. The prison authorities even got Mr. Yuan's family members to sign the statement when they came to visit him, thereby attempting to shirk responsibility for the tortures they inflicted by taking advantage of a Falun Dafa practitioner's kindness.

In the middle of May 2005, the Daqing Prison authorities intensified the persecution of Falun Gong. Falun Dafa practitioners became the victims of a coordinated campaign called "red terror." Led by Jiang Shuchen, the prison chief and head of the 610 Office2, together with the ward chief, Dong Menghuan, deprived Yuan Qingjiang of studying and practising the exercises. They further forced him to admit his "crime" and wear a prison uniform. They tied him up and tortured him for three consecutive days and nights. Mr. Yuan's health became much worse at that point. He lost more and more weight. His abdomen became more and more distended. His scrotum was swollen. He vomited everything he ate, and he couldn't eat anything for several days.

On June 15th 2005, the prison inspector was afraid of being held responsible for Yuan Qingjian's health condition, so they sent him to the Daqing Fourth Hospital. The doctors diagnosed him with "dual lung hematogenous pulmonary tuberculosis," "hepato-cirrhosis," "tubercular peritonitis (ascites)" and "epididymis tuberculosis." The hospital authorities saw that Mr. Yuan's life was in danger and recommended hospitalisation, but the prison authorities refused to admit him, using the excuse that he had signed a document previously saying they were not responsible for his health. Mr. Yuan was sent back to the Daqing Prison Hospital the same day. The prison authorities informed Mr. Yuan's family of his "medical parole," but because his wife only had a temporary job and his child was sick, his family could not afford the costs for his treatment. The prison authorities refused to release him unconditionally, so he was held in the prison and his health deteriorated further. He developed severe headaches and vomiting, and was unable to eat. He continued to lose weight and the palsy in his hand worsened.

On July 15th 2005, the Daqing Prison authorities allowed Mr. Yuan to go for another checkup at the Daqing Second Hospital. He was given a CT scan and an ultrasound. He was diagnosed with "metastasis of encephalic invasion," "tuberculo meningitis," "liver tuberculosis," "dual lung hematogenous pulmonary tuberculosis," "tubercular peritonitis (ascites)" and "epididymis tuberculosis." It was again suggested that he be hospitalised. But because he had signed the statement, the Daqing Prison authorities and the Sixth Ward authorities refused to have him hospitalised once again and sent him back to the prison hospital that same day. Due to his extremely critical condition, the prison hospital doctor suggested to the prison chief Jiang Shuchen several times to transfer him to the Second Hospital. Again, the Daqing Prison authorities and the Sixth Ward authorities refused to pay for it. Between July 18th and 20th Mr. Yuan Qingjiang's situation became extremely bad. He could not leave his bed nor take in any food for three days.

Around 5:00 p.m. on July 20th 2005, Yuan Qingjiang suddenly went into a coma. His teeth closed tight and his face turned blue. One of his pupils enlarged and the other shrank dramatically. His life was in danger. The doctor on duty urged the prison authorities to transfer him immediately to an outside hospital and informed the Sixth Ward chief Dong Menghuan to come the prison hospital at once. Again, due to Mr. Yuan's life being in danger, the doctor suggested transferring him to an outside hospital. Dong Menghuan still gave the excuse of "no budget" and refused. Around 7:00 p.m. Mr. Yuan's situation eased a little bit. However at 1:00 a.m. on July 21st his situation worsened again. He was still not transferred. He had regained consciousness and could eat a little bit on July 21st and 22nd. However, he had bowel and bladder incontinence. During those two days the doctor on duty suggested to the 610 Office head Jiang Shuchen to approve Mr. Yuan's outside hospitalisation. Jiang Shuchen refused again.

On July 23rd around 8:00 a.m., Yuan Qingjiang's situation became much worse. He drifted in and out of consciousness. The doctor on duty asked the director of the prison hospital and the prison director on duty to transfer Mr. Yuan. After it was approved, the Sixth Ward authorities transferred him to the city's Fourth Hospital. It was 10:30 a.m. The Fourth Hospital refused to accept him, saying that tuberculosis patients should be sent to the city's Second Hospital infirmary. The Sixth Ward chief, Dong Menghuan, called the prison hospital, saying the city's Fourth Hospital refused to accept Mr. Yuan, and sent him back to the prison hospital again. Yuan Qingjiang's situation by then was much worse. He went into a coma. His one purple enlarged, and the other shrank. The doctor on duty once again asked the director of the prison hospital and the prison director on duty to have the Sixth Ward's authorities' transfer Mr. Yuan to the city's Second Hospital. He was finally transferred around 3:30 p.m. Unfortunately, shortly after arriving at the Second Hospital, around 4:00 p.m., Mr. Yuan passed away.

It was the Daqing Prison authorities' brutal persecution of Falun Gong that kept Mr. Yuan Qingjiang from studying the Falun Dafa books and practising the exercises, and kept Mr. Yuan from recovering from the torture he had suffered in the Harbin Prison. Moreover, Mr. Yuan was refused medical treatment, and when he finally had the opportunity to get it, it was too late. This is how the 610 Office head, Jiang Shuchen, the deputy chief of the Daqing Prison, and Dong Menghuan, the Sixth Ward chief, took advantage of Mr. Yuan Qingjiang's kindness, and ruthlessly and hideously killed him. Until now, the Daqing Prison authorities still avow to the outside that a Falun Gong practitioner died because he refused to see a doctor.

Another Falun Dafa practitioner, Yu Yongquan, who was also held in the Sixth Ward, died in the first half of 2003 as a result of gross abuse and mistreatment from the authorities at the Daqing Prison Reeducation and Correction Section and from the cruelties of the chief of the Sixth Prison district, Dong Menghuan. Even now the Daqing Prison authorities still claim to the outside that Yu Yongquan died from a stroke.

In the meantime, Falun Dafa practitioner Xu Jishan was tortured to death in mid-June 2005, during a water force-feeding episode. There is no official explanation for his death, and the murderers have not been penalised.

Daqing Prison (Area code: 0459)
Address: Hongweixing Daqing Prison, Ranghulu District, Daqing City, ZIP 163159

Tang Yongfu, the former Warden of the Prison
86-459-5056688 (Office)
86-459-5105087 (Home)
86-13303690588 (Mobile)
(He has now been transferred to Deputy Head of the Daqing City Political and Judiciary Committee)

Wang Yongxiang, the current Prison Warden
86-459-5099876 (former Office)
86-459-5964388 (Home)
86-13904867068 (Mobile)

Chen Qingfa, Political Head

86-459-5058588 (Office)
86-459-4686358 (Home)
86-13329491288 (Mobile)
(Home address: 1-0 building, Dongfengxin Village)


(1) "Reform or Transform" Implementation of brainwashing and torture in order to force a practitioner to renounce Falun Gong. (Variations: "reform", "transform", "reformed", "reforming", "transformed", "transforming", and "transformation")

(2) "The 610 office" is an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.