My Baby Almost Starved to Death When I Was Unjustly Imprisoned For Practising Falun Gong

My mother-in-law's family started practising Falun Gong in the second half of 1996, and they have all benefited a lot from the practice. Unfortunately, this wonderful practice has suffered persecution and oppression since April 1999.

At that time I had not yet started practising Falun Gong. Officials from the town government constantly came to my home and tried to persuade us not to practice. Three people from the town committee and three policemen from the police station were in charge of watching our family. They came and went all day long, and wouldn't let us rest in peace.

On the night of July 19, 1999, they climbed over the wall and entered our yard. They broke down the front door, arrested my father-in-law, my brother-in-law and his wife and took them to the town office. My mother-in-law was so frightened that she cried continuously. Only my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law's two children were left at home. Both his room and our room were filled with people. Somebody was sent to call me back from my parents' home where I was staying at that time because I was six-months pregnant.

Very soon, the director of the Family Planning Committee leading a bunch of other people came to my home. They wanted us to expose and criticise Falun Gong.

Later on, the town committee forced my boss and several co-workers to join them in watching my mother-in-law and myself near our home. On July 25, 1999, on my elder brother's demand, I was taken back to my parents' home. My workplace sent two people to watch me everyday. On July 26, three people from the education committee came and took my husband away. They extorted 1,500 Yuan [500 Yuan is the average monthly income for an urban worker in China] from me, which they said was to pay for the living expenses of the people who lived with him. After I went back to the school, the education committee demanded an additional 300 Yuan, claiming that it was supposed to pay for the expenses of the people who watched me, although they didn't give me a receipt. My brother-in-law, his wife and my father-in-law didn't come home until they had paid a "fine." My brother-in-law paid 5,000 Yuan, his wife and my father-in-law each paid 60 Yuan. It was daylight robbery! While the staff from the town government was monitoring my home, they often knocked on our door late at night, closed their car doors loudly and blew the horn to keep us from sleeping well. After July 20, 1999, I was laid off.

On December 27, 1999, six members of our family went to Beijing to appeal, intending to report the true situation to the central government, but instead, we were persecuted for trying to speak up.

I. The persecution my husband has suffered

At the Tiananmen police station, my husband was beaten in the face with the piece of iron shown in the picture, to such a point that both his cheeks turned blue and his eyes black. His eyes swelled into the shape of a thin line, and he could no longer open his mouth. Later he was sent to the Beijing Office of Shandong Province where he was illegally detained. The officers there beat his face with a stiff paper tube, and confiscated more than 200 Yuan from him. They handcuffed him to a female practitioner and didn't allow them to sit down, forcing them to squat instead. They didn't give them any food or water, or allow them to go to the toilet. During that time, he witnessed how several officers severely beat an elderly practitioner.

He was illegally detained at a detention centre for a month, where he wasn't given enough food. Moreover, he was forced to wash clothes for the criminal prisoners, and was beaten by them. He wasn't allowed to practise the Falun Gong exercises. During his detention there, he once heard a guard forcing a practitioner to eat excrement and drink urine! After my husband was released, he was illegally detained by his work unit until the end of the year, and he couldn't get enough food there either. Right after he was allowed to come back home and spent the Chinese New Year with us, he was taken back to the workplace for detention again.

During the two Congressional Meetings in 2000, his work unit again detained him in a room, where people took turns watching him.

In February 2000, my entire family and I were detained at the Town Judicial Department. My husband, my mother-in-law, my brother-in-law and his wife were all severely beaten; my brother-in-law's wife didn't recover until a month later, and she had to be led by the arm in order to use the toilet. My brother-in-law's leg has developed bumps. The wounds on my poor husband's hand did not heal until several months later.

At that time my baby was only a little over three month's old. Since I wasn't provided with any food for three days, I was not producing any milk to feed him; he was so pitifully starved that he wouldn't stop crying. On the fourth day, seeing that my baby was on the brink of death, the town committee official sent my baby and me to my parents' home.

In March 2000, my husband and my brother-in-law's wife were again illegally detained for 15 days, and were sentenced to heavy labour. After their release in early April, they were again detained at the Town Judicial Department, and then they were taken by their work unit and detained at their work place for several days.

After they were released and allowed to go back to work, they were only assigned to run sundry errands, and have not received any salary.

II. The persecution I have suffered

Although I had not yet started genuine cultivation practice, I had read "Zhuan Falun" [the main text of Falun Dafa]. The physical and mental benefits I observed in my whole family convinced me that Dafa was wrongfully accused and treated. Therefore on December 27, 1999, holding my newborn son who was only 30 days old, I determinedly went to the Bureau of Appeals in Beijing to clarify the truth. At that time I did not even know how to do the Falun Gong exercises, but I had my righteous faith in Dafa. There was a big crowd outside of the Bureau of Appeals; police had been brought in from all over the country to intercept Dafa practitioners. From time to time I saw people being beaten up. I was pushed into a van, where two young fellows snatched 200 Yuan from me right away. One of them slapped my face twice. They completely disregarded the safety of my baby! The van took me to a hotel next to the Bureau of Appeals, where an employee from the Bureau of Appeals watched me. He deceived me and took 1,900 Yuan from me, as well as the book Zhuan Falun and an exercise tape. In the evening, the Assistant Director of the police station and the Vice Party Secretary of the town office came to the hotel. The next morning they dragged my baby and me to the Beijing Office of Shandong Province and fetched my husband. My husband had been beaten so severely that they couldn't recognise him. They took us back to our hometown. My husband was detained at a detention centre, and I was detained at the town police station. My mother-in-law had already been detained there for two days.

(Originally, my mother-in-law had intended to accompany my husband to Beijing, but had been intercepted by police along the way. Therefore, my husband had gone to Beijing by himself where he suffered the persecution described above. After my mother-in-law had been re-arrested and taken back to town, they handcuffed her to the iron railings of the police station facing the street and humiliated her in front of passersby).

Later, succumbing to coercion by police, my parents paid 2,000 Yuan but had to also write a "sponsor statement" before they were allowed to take me home. My brother-in-law and mother-in-law were detained again. When police tried to extort money from them, he said he had no money, and they weren't released until more than a month later.

Since April 1999 my family has not had a single peaceful day. My husband has frequently been detained, and our source of livelihood has been cut off. My mother-in-law and my brother-in-law's wife had to grab others' discarded vegetable leaves or forage for wild plants to eat.

Due to constant harassment and arrest at the hands of evil persons, my husband and I had to leave our one year-old son at home and become destitute and homeless.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.