According to statistics from the Minghui website, there have been about 40 arrest cases since February 2014, involving over 60 Falun Gong practitioners who were arrested for distributing Shen Yun1 DVDs. These practitioners came from 14 different provinces and cities, including Heilongjiang Province, Henan Province, Hebei Province, Guangdong Province, Liaoning Province, Shandong Province, Sichuan Province, Jilin Province, Fujian Province, Hunan Province, Shaanxi Province, Tianjin, Beijing, and Shanghai. Some practitioners were fined, some were kept in custody, and others were sent to detention centres.
The Chinese Communist Party Fears Shen Yun
Shen Yun, a performing arts company whose mission is to promote Chinese traditional culture, has been very popular overseas since its inception in 2006. Audiences of different nationalities, beliefs, and ages, have been deeply moved by the beauty and charm that Shen Yun imparts. Sincere and pure praise for the show has been expressed from the hearts of audience members.
The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) authorities have systematically destroyed China's traditional culture since the regime took control of China in 1949. The party fears the renaissance of China's 5,000 years of civilization. That's why the communist regime has tried to suppress Falun Gong practitioners who distribute Shen Yun DVDs. The ideology of “Survival of the Fittest” and “Class Struggle” evolved from the Party's atheism. It thus diametrically opposes the core values of China's traditional culture, which is based on Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism.
On the other hand, the communist regime was not formed by an election, and it fears the democracies of Western culture. Thus, in the process of destroying China's traditional culture, it has created a so-called “party culture,” which opposes both China's traditional culture as well as Western culture. The party culture aims to create confusion in people's understanding of right and wrong, whitewashing the evil Chinese Communist Party, and distorting people's ways of thinking, all with the purpose of maintaining its dictatorship.
The Chinese Constitution states that “citizens have the freedom of belief and expression.” Therefore, distributing Shen Yun DVDs should be a legitimate and righteous action, protected by law.
Over 60 Practitioners Arrested in February and March 2014 for Distributing Shen Yun DVDs
The following is a list of Falun Gong practitioners who were arrested for distributing Shen Yun DVDs in February and March 2014.
1. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Zhou Jingliang, 50, from Youyi Township, Fuyu County, Heilongjiang Province, was watching the 2014 Shen Yun DVD with Ms. Tao, when he was reported by Ms. Tao's husband, Feng Bin. On February 16th, Mr. Zhou was taken away by the police. He is being held in the Youyi Township Detention Centre. He was reportedly fined 500 yuan2 and detained for seven days.
2. A Falun Gong practitioner with the surname Bai, 70, from Xinhua Road, Weidong District, Pingdingshan City, Henan Province, was arrested by Zhang Qingping, an officer from the Wuyilu Police Station, on February 18th, 2014, at 3:00 p.m., as he was distributing Shen Yun DVDs. The police ransacked Mr. Bai's home and confiscated 20 more 2014 Shen Yun DVDs. Mr. Bai was taken to Pingdingshan Detention Centre on February 19th.
3. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. He Yazhen, 70, and Yin Guizhi, 60, from Yanshou County, Heilongjiang Province, were reported while distributing Shen Yun DVDs on the street. They were both taken to the Yanshou County Detention Centre.
4. Shanghai Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Zhu Dongdi, 71, lived at 33 Shangnaner Village, Room 604, Pudong New District. Officers from the Zhoujiadu Police Station went to Ms. Zhu's house on February 21st, 2014, and arrested her. She was held for ten days in the Pudong New District Detention Centre before being transferred to a brainwashing centre. Ms. Zhu was arrested because she had Falun Gong materials and Shen Yun DVDs with her when she was talking to people from the Residential Committee of Shangnaner Village. After the communist cadres took the materials from her, they told Ms. Zhu that they would report this incident to their superiors. Ms. Zhu was later arrested.
5. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Gu Shouxian, from Pujiang County, Minxing District, and 14 other elderly Falun Gong practitioners were watching the 2014 Shen Yun DVD at Mr. Gu's home on February 21st, 2014, when a group of plainclothes police officers suddenly broke into the house and arrested them. They ransacked Mr. Gu's house, and confiscated a computer, a printer, and all his Falun Gong-related books. The arrest was regarded as a “major case” by the Shanghai 610 Office (an organisation of special agents just for persecuting Falun Gong). At least five practitioners were sent to a detention centre.
6. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Zhang Baoling, 60, from Shengli Oilfield, Dongying City, Shandong Province, lived in the Shengwang District near the Shengli Oil Production Plant. She was a retired employee of the Shengcai Labor Service Company. Ms. Zhang went out to distribute Shen Yun DVDs on the street on February 21st, 2014. She saw a man, and handed him a Shen Yun DVD and some software that showed him how to break through the CCP's Internet blockade. The man violently seized Ms. Zhang and took her to a brainwashing centre in the Shengli Oil Production Plant. Ms. Zhang is now back home, however her house has been ransacked and many personal belongings taken.
7. Yunnan Province, Kunming City Falun Gong practitioners Deng Guiying, Lu Changying, Qu Yuexian, and Zhu Yulian were arrested by officers from the Wangjiazhuang Police Station in Malong County, Qujing City, for distributing Shen Yun DVDs and other materials on February 23rd, 2014.
8. Falun Gong practitioner Zhang Zuyong, 70, from Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, was arrested by three undercover officers when he was distributing Shen Yun DVDs near his home. The police ransacked his house and confiscated his Falun Gong books, mobile phones, and other personal belongings. Mr. Zhang has since been released.
9. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Xiao Meilian from Heyuan City, Guangdong Province was arrested by officers from the Lankou District Police Station when she was distributing Shen Yun DVDs in Lankou District. She is currently being held in the Dongyuan District Detention Centre.
10. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Wang Yun and Ms. Ma Fengxia from Xiaozhujia Village, Baichigan Township, Zhuozhou City, Hebei Province were arrested by officers from the Third Battalion of Zhuozhou on February 26th, 2014, at 1:00 a.m. The police ransacked their houses and confiscated a large number of Shen Yun DVDs, Falun Gong-related materials, and personal property. Ms. Ma has been released, but Ms. Wang is still being detained in the Third Battalion.
11. An elderly Falun Gong practitioner, Mr. Zhang from Tiexi District, Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, was reported by a security guard while he was distributing Shen Yun DVDs. He was arrested by officers from the Xinghua Police Station. Mr. Zhang was interrogated and forced to give his fingerprints. The police also ransacked his house. Finding nothing to use against him, they sent Mr. Zhang to a local detention centre. He was released the next day, because they found he had hypertension.
12. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Xiao Shuwei, 50, from Hanyang District, Wuhan City, Hubei Province, was reported and arrested by officers from the Luonan Police Station on February 26th while handing out Shen Yun DVDs to passersby near Wuhan University. He is currently being detained in the Hongshan Detention Centre in Wuchang City.
13. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Yang Min from Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province, was arrested by officers from the Shangzhi Police Station while distributing Shen Yun DVDs to people on the street. She is currently being detained in the Harbin Detention Centre, also known as the Yaziquan Detention Centre.
14. Falun Gong practitioners Ye Biyu, Wei Shuyi, Li Meiying, and Chen Saixiong, from Xiapu County, Ningde City, Fujian Province, were reported and arrested by officers from the Beibi District Police Station while they were distributing Shen Yun DVDs to people on the street. The following day, they were taken to the Xiapu District Detention Centre.
15. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Wang Shuqin and Ms. Ma Aiwu from Tonghai District, Hebei Province were arrested by Ding Na, deputy director of the Chengguan Police Station in Tanghai District, while distributing Shen Yun DVDs in the market on March 1st. They were sent to the local detention centre. The police ordered Ms. Wang's son to pay 800 yuan in exchange for her release. This was the third time that Ms. Wang and Ms. Ma have been arrested.
16. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Zhang Liuliu from Qingshantou Village, Jichangzhuang Township, Ningjin County, Hebei Province, was arrested by officers from the Ningjin Domestic Security Division on March 1st while she was passing out Shen Yun DVDs in a market. The police ransacked her home. Ms. Zhang is currently detained in the First Detention Centre of Xingtai City.
17. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wang Minqiang (also known as Wang Guodang), from Shaozhuangzi Village, Quantou District, Anxin County, Baoding City, Hebei Province, was arrested by officers from the Chengguan Police Station when he was distributing Shen Yun DVDs on the street. He is being detained in the Anxi County Detention Centre.
18. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Chen Xiufang from Jianxi County, Luoyang City, Henan Province, was found carrying Shen Yun DVDs at the Luoyang Train Station Security checkpoint when she was travelling to her hometown in Shaanxi Province. She was immediately arrested and taken to a detention centre in Luoyang.
19. Falun Gong practitioner Ma Jingchuan from Zhaochengzi Village, Wangdianzi Town, Luan County, Hebei Province, was found with Shen Yun DVDs in his car after he was stopped by traffic police on March 3rd, 2014. The traffic police then called the National Security Department of Luan County to arrest Mr. Ma.
20. Falun Gong practitioners Li Ying and Zhang Yingchun from Liquan County, Xianyang City, Shaanxi Province, were arrested by officers Wang Tao, Sun Tao, and Li Bing when they were explaining the facts about Falun gong to people on the street and giving them copies of Shen Yun DVDs. They were handcuffed in the police station, searched, interrogated, forced to give their fingerprints, and have their photos taken.
21. Falun Gong practitioners Han Guilan and Cao Lanwen, both about 70 years old, were reported by a villager as they were handing out Shen Yun DVDs. They were arrested by police officers who sent them to the Fengnan District Detention Centre.
22. A Falun Gong practitioner from Langfang City, Hebei Province, was arrested by officers from the Niutuo Police Station on March 6th, 2014, for distributing Shen Yun DVDs.
23. Beijing Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Qi Xiuhong and Ms. Ding were arrested by officers from the Chaoyang District Police Department on March 8th, 2014, as they were distributing Shen Yun DVDs in the Jingsong District. The police took their mobile phones, watches, torches, and other personal belongings. The next day at about 3:00 a.m., five officers led by Zhao Haiping, deputy director of the Jingsong Police Station, searched and videotaped the practitioners' houses.
24. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Chen Xiuyun and Ms. Zhu Hongying, from Yushu City, Changchun, Jilin Province, were reported by a villager on March 8th, 2014, and arrested by police from the Sihe Police Station as they were distributing Shen Yun DVDs in a local village. Ms. Chen and Ms. Zhu were held in the detention centre for ten days.
25. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Yi Xiangyang, 65, from Liujia Village, Longkou City, Yantai, Shandong Province, was reported and arrested by officers from the Longgang Police Station on March 10th, 2014, while he was distributing Shen Yun DVDs in a local market. The police seized his tricycle and 200 yuan, and refused to return them to him. Mr. Yi was taken to the Longkou City Detention Centre the same day, where he was held for 15 days.
26. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Sun Guiqin, 73, is from Hangutun Village, Baoguolao Town, Beipiao City, Liaoning Province. On March 11th, 2014, three officers from the Baoguolao Town Police Station broke into her house and ransacked it. They took away some Shen Yun DVDs, and other items. The next day, three police officers led by Sun Jiawei, director of the Baoguolao Town Police Station, came again, arrested Ms. Sun, and took her to the police station. She was released the same day.
27. On March 14th, Falun Gong practitioner Yang Min from Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, handed two copies of Shen Yun DVDs to two strangers. It was reported that the two strangers were members of the Harbin Municipal Political and Legal Affairs Committee. Yang Min was later arrested, after these two people made a report.
28. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Li Lizhen, 46, from Fushun City, Liaoning Province, was arrested on March 18th, 2014, by officer Liu from the Qianjin Police Station, as she was distributing Shen Yun DVDs near Baiyun Plaza. She is currently being held in the Nangou Detention Centre.
29. Falun Gong practitioner Hao Xiaojing from Ji County, Tianjin City, was arrested on March 18th, 2014, at the Tianjin Airport security checkpoint, for carrying Shen Yun DVDs. Ms. Hao is being held in the Ji County Detention Centre. Officers from the local police department ransacked her and her aunt's homes.
30. In March 2014, Falun Gong practitioner Zhang Ge, from Guangan City, Sichuan Province, was arrested by Li Caibing, head of the local 610 Office, when he was distributing Shen Yun DVDs near Wandong Town Xinhua Elementary School. He later escaped.
31. Falun Gong practitioner Zhang Xuyan from Jinan City was taken away by officers from the Daminghu Police Station on March 22nd, 2014, and detained in the Jinan City Detention Centre.
32. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wang Hu, 50, from Weihai City, went to Laishan District on March 26th, 2014, to distribute Shen Yun DVDs. He was asked by a stranger to bring more DVDs to him the next day. Mr. Wang brought the DVDs to the designated place on March 27th. When he got there, he was immediately arrested by police officers who were waiting there, and taken to the Yingzhoudajie Police Station in Laishan District. After extorting 1,000 yuan from his family, the police still didn't release him. They went to Mr. Wang's house and ransacked it, then sent him to the Laishan District Detention Centre for continued persecution.
33. Falun Gong practitioner Li Qingsheng, from Yongling District, Xinbin Manchurian Autonomous County, Fushun City, Liaoning Province, was reported and arrested on March 27th, and taken to the Nanzamu Police Station. He was distributing Shen Yun DVDs at the Nanzamu Train Station. When practitioners Ms. Zhang Yuxia and Ms. Tang Yuting went to visit Li Qingsheng, they were both arrested by officers from the Nanzamu Police Station, and locked up in an iron cage. When Ms. Tang's family went to demand her release, officer Zhao Lianke from the Xinbin County Police Department forced Ms. Tang's family to go with him to ransack their home. Li Qingsheng was taken to the Xinbin County Detention Centre the next day. Ms. Zhang was sent to the Nangou Detention Centre in Fushun, and Ms. Tang was released.
34. Falun Gong practitioner Liu Zhirong, from Yitong County, Jilin Province, was reported and arrested on March 27th, 2014, when she was handing out Shen Yun DVDs to people on the street. She was taken to the Siping City Detention Centre in Jilin that day.
35. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Dang Fuqiang, 40, was arrested by police from the Domestic Security Division on March 28th, 2014, for distributing Shen Yun DVDs on the street.
36. Practitioners Mr. Zhang Hongye from Xuchang City, Henan Province, and Mr. Zhang Zhende from Yuzhou City, Henan Province, were arrested by police on March 28th, 2014. The officers ambushed them just after they pulled out of the driveway, and confiscated Mr. Zhang's car. They were arrested for possessing Shen Yun DVDs.
37. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Guo Miaoxiang from Chengzigou Village, Goushi Town, Yanshi City, Luoyang, Henan Province, was reported on March 28th, 2014, and arrested by five officers from the Goushi Town Police Station when she was clarifying the facts to people on the street. The police ransacked her home, confiscated a notebook computer valued at over 4,000 yuan, along with Falun Gong-related books, and Shen Yun DVDs. Ms. Guo is currently being held in the Yanshi City Detention Centre.
1. Shen Yun Performing Arts is a New York based company showing traditional Chinese culture through classical dance and music. Some dance pieces in the show depict the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China and how they show their compassion under extreme conditions.
2. "Yuan" is the Chinese currency; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income of an urban worker in China.
You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.